Diabetes information for Thurrock residents
Diabetes is a life-long condition that causes a person’s blood sugar to become too high. There are two main types of diabetes:
Type 1: occurs when a person cannot produce the hormone insulin, causing high blood glucose levels. About 10% of people with diabetes have Type 1. The cause of Type 1 is not known but it has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle.
Type 2: occurs when the body can’t produce enough insulin or the insulin doesn’t work properly. About 90% of people with diabetes have Type 2. You’re more at risk of Type 2 diabetes if you’re overweight or obese, over 40, have a relative with diabetes or have Asian, Chinese or African heritage.
Local support and courses
Thurrock patients who are at risk of developing diabetes can take advantage of a prevention programme called Healthier You; The NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme (DPP). This programme gives advice and support on making lifestyle changes that can prevent developing diabetes. For more information, visit our Diabetes Prevention page.
Type 2 education course for diabetes patients
People with Type 2 can benefit from a one-off, three hour education course on living with diabetes and improve long-term outcomes. Visit our S.W.E.E.T Education Course page for more information.
Diabetes Support Group
You can hear about the experiences, tips and advice of other diabetes patients at a local support group for people with diabetes in Thurrock. For more visit our Diabetes Support Group page.
You can find out more about diabetes on the following websites:
- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes/ - information on diabetes such as when to see a GP and causes
- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-1-diabetes/ - an in-depth guide on Type 1 diabetes such using an insulin pump, counting carbohydrates and exercise and sport
- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-2-diabetes/ - information on symptoms, medication, diet and keeping active
- https://www.diabetes.org.uk/ - charity with tonnes of advice and support on living with diabetes
- https://preventing-diabetes.co.uk/essex/ - information on the diabetes prevention programme in Essex