From this week, you’ll be able to find out your blood pressure at selected local GP surgeries in Tilbury, East Tilbury and Chadwell.
You’ll be able to test yourself with the support of healthcare professionals in the waiting area and receive results instantly. Download the pilot poster below for information on location and risk factors that can lead to high blood pressure:
Portfolio Holder for Health, Cllr James Halden said: “You can’t manage a condition if you don’t know you have it.
“Estimates for Thurrock suggest thousands of local people remain undiagnosed for common conditions such as high blood pressure.
“These machines are an easy way to check your health. If your blood pressure shows an irregular reading, it isn’t anything to worry about and is something you can discuss with your GP. Your GP can help you find out more and as well as give useful advice for looking after your health.
“There is a reason why blood pressure is called the silent killer. Somebody could have raised blood pressure and feel fine – until you experience serious complications like a stroke.”
Dr Anand Deshpande, GP and Chair of Thurrock Clinical Commissioning Group said: “This initiative is a fantastic opportunity for us to find those missing thousands that have gone undiagnosed in Thurrock. We know that hypertension can lead to serious health conditions if not properly managed that is why getting a diagnosis is so important.”
“Anyone can develop high blood pressure but there are a few things that increase a person’s risk. Lifestyle is a very important factor in the development of hypertension. Smoking, weight, age, inactivity and family history are all very important factors.”
There are a number of factors that can increase your risk of high blood pressure. You are at greater risk if you:
- Are over 65
- Are overweight or obese
- Smoke, drink too much alcohol or drink too much caffeine-based drinks
- Are of African or Caribbean descent or have a relative with high blood pressure
- Don’t do enough exercise
- Eat too much salt
- Don’t get much sleep or have disturbed sleep
The following GP practices will be hosting the self-test equipment:
- Chadwell Medical Centre - 1 Brentwood Road, Chadwell St Mary, RM16 4JD
- Tilbury Health Centre - London Road, Tilbury, RM18 8EB
- Commonwealth Health Centre - Quebec Road, Tilbury, RM18 7RB
- East Tilbury Medical Centre - 85 Coronation Avenue, East Tilbury, RM18 8SW
- Dilip Sabnis Medical Centre - Linford Road, Grays, RM16 4JW
- Appledore Medical Centre - 8 Coronation Aveune, East Tilbury, RM18 8S.
Want to find out more? Contact your GP or Thurrock Healthy Lifestyles Service on 0800 292 2299 alternatively, visit: www.thurrock.gov.uk/myhealth